Jeffrey J. Schwartz
Email MeJeffrey J. Schwartz
Jeff Schwartz concentrates his practice in the field of intellectual property law, providing patent, trademark, and copyright legal services to individuals and businesses. Jeff is a licensed attorney in North Carolina, and is registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He serves a wide variety of clients with particular focus on the legal needs of business owners, corporations, entrepreneurs, and inventors.
Jeff has more than 20 years of legal experience in a broad range of technologies including computer software, wireless communications, medical devices and processes, protective body armor, mechanical devices, textiles and textile machinery, sports equipment, and more. In addition to patent prosecution, Jeff's patent law services include infringement and validity opinions, licensing and strategic business planning.
In the area of trademark law, Jeff regularly advises businesses and corporations on the availability and proper use of trademarks, service marks, taglines, and logos. Jeff prosecutes applications to federally register these marks on both the Principal and Supplemental Registers of the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
In the area of copyright law, Jeff represents several graphic artists and designers and routinely registers his clients' copyrights with the United States Copyright Office.
Jeff also provides legal advice and counseling with respect to patent and trademark licensing, assignment, and confidentiality agreements.
- Assisted a small North Carolina company in developing a strategy for world-wide patent protection for an innovative medical device
- Helped a local inventor secure patent protection for candy toys which were successfully licensed to a large North Carolina corporation
- Developed an international patent portfolio for a small Internet business which was subsequently sold to a large multi-million dollar corporation in the banking and financing industry
- Filed patent applications in the U.S. and Canada for novel web-based calendaring system employed by large international freight transportation company
- Helped a local company secure patent and trademark protection for game feeder stands used in the hunting industry
- Worked with a large international corporation in the design and protection of heavy-duty plastic bags
- Assisted a music management company in the protection of artists' names and songs
- Helped develop a branding strategy for a North Carolina restaurant
- Maintains a sizable patent portfolio for an U.S.-based Italian corporation involved in the manufacture and sale of membrane presses used for laminating counter tops
- Counseled start-up software company with regard to patent, trademark, and copyright matters
- Assisted a California company in securing over a dozen patents for ballistic-resistant fabrics and garments in the U.S. and Europe
Education and Prior Professional Experience
After graduating from Clemson University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering, Jeff received a Juris Doctorate in 1992 from the University of South Carolina. Jeff is a licensed member of the Bars of the United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina and the United States Federal Circuit. From 1992 through 2002, Jeff served as an associate, director and shareholder of the former Adams, Schwartz & Evans law firm in Charlotte, N.C.
Jeff was recently certified by the North Carolina State Bar as a specialist in Trademark Law. He is among 22 attorneys state-wide to receive this distinction, and one of only 3 attorneys in the Charlotte area. To be certified as a specialist in a practice area, an attorney must be in practice for at least five years, devote a significant part of his practice to the specialty area, attend continuing legal education seminars in the specialty, and be favorably evaluated by other attorneys and judges. The attorney must also pass a written bar examination in the specialty practice area.
Professional, Civic and Community Involvement
Jeff is a member of the North Carolina Bar Association; the Carolina Patent, Trademark and Copyright Law Association; the Federal Circuit Bar Association; and the Mecklenburg County Bar Organization.
Jeff formerly served on the Mecklenburg County Bar Board of Directors and actively participates in various Bar committees, such as the Volunteer Lawyers Program ("VLP"). As a Chair and long-time committee member of the VLP, Jeff assisted in establishing the Pro Bono for Nonprofits program initiative aimed at matching the expertise of business lawyers in Mecklenburg County with charities engaged in local community development. He was selected to participate in the inaugural 2002 Mecklenburg County Bar Leadership Institute, and chaired the Selection Committee for the 2004 class. Jeff is also Chair of the 26th Judicial Candidates Committee responsible for interviewing and evaluating candidates for admission to the North Carolina State Bar.
Jeff has been selected by his peers as one of North Carolina's LEGAL ELITE among intellectual property attorneys, and a North Carolina SUPER LAWYER in the field of intellectual property.
Business North Carolina magazine also surveys attorneys throughout the State to obtain their view on the State's best practitioners in designated areas of law; more than 16,000 attorneys receive ballots each year. Jeff is one of less than 3% of lawyers statewide to be chosen as a member of the LEGAL ELITE. He has received this recognition in the field of intellectual property for each of the years 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, and 2010.
Jeff lives in Charlotte, N.C. with his wife, Lisa-Leigh, and two children, Lea and Evan.
Areas of Practice
- 100% Intellectual Property Law
- North Carolina, 1992
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Columbia, South Carolina
- J.D. - 1992
- Clemson University
- Major: Civil Engineering
Honors and Awards
- THE BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA, 2011 - 2014
- North Carolina LEGAL ELITE™, 2005
- North Carolina LEGAL ELITE™, 2006
- North Carolina LEGAL ELITE™, 2008
- North Carolina LEGAL ELITE™, 2009
- North Carolina LEGAL ELITE™, 2010
- North Carolina LEGAL ELITE™, 2011
- North Carolina SUPER LAWYER, 2006
- North Carolina SUPER LAWYER, 2013
- Edition of U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms", 2014
- Best of Business Award for Charlotte in the Legal Services category, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member
- Carolina Patent, Trademark and Copyright Law Association, Member
- Federal Circuit Bar Association, Member
- Mecklenburg County Bar Organization, Member
- 26th Judicial Bar Candidates Committee, Chair
- Mecklenburg County Bar Leadership Institute, 2002
Past Employment Positions
- Former Adams, Schwartz & Evans Law Firm in Charlotte, N.C., Associate/Director/Shareholder, 1992 - 2002
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer Lawyers Program ("VLP")
- MCB Community Outreach Committee
- Chair, Lawyers and Volunteers Advisory Panel