Jeffrey J. Schwartz concentrates his practice in the field of intellectual property law, providing patent, trademark and copyright legal services to individuals and businesses. Since 1993, Jeff has been licensed and registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He serves a wide variety of clients with a particular focus on the legal needs of business owners, corporations, entrepreneurs, and inventors.
Jeff has prepared and filed more than 500 patent applications in a broad range of technologies including wireless Internet applications, computer software, ballistic resistant fibers and garments, vehicle wheel balancing tools and machines, medical devices and systems, heavy-duty plastic bags, and machinery for cutting and grinding trees. Jeff’s patent law services further include infringement and validity opinions, licensing, and counseling.
In the area of trademark law, Jeff regularly advises businesses on the availability and proper use of trademarks for products and services, and serves to protect these trademarks through the federal registration process.
In the area of copyright law, Jeff represents several graphic artists, designers, and music performers.
Jeff also provides legal advice and counseling with respect to licensing and confidentiality agreements.
Representative Matters Include:
- Assisted a small North Carolina company in developing a strategy for world-wide patent protection for an innovative medical device
- Helped a local inventor secure patent protection for candy toys which were successfully licensed to a large North Carolina corporation
- Developed an international patent portfolio for a small Internet business which was subsequently sold to a large multi-million dollar corporation in the banking and financing industry
- Filed patent applications in the U.S. and Canada for novel web-based calendaring system employed by large international freight transportation company
- Helped a local company secure patent and trademark protection for game feeder stands used in the hunting industry
- Worked with a large international corporation in the design and protection of heavy-duty plastic bags
- Assisted a music management company in the protection of artists’ names and songs
- Helped develop a branding strategy for a North Carolina restaurant
- Maintains a sizable patent portfolio for an U.S.-based Italian corporation involved in the manufacture and sale of membrane presses used for laminating counter tops
- Counseled start-up software company with regard to patent, trademark, and copyright matters
- Assisted a California company in securing over a dozen patents for ballistic-resistant fabrics and garments in the U.S. and Europe